Wednesday, January 9, 2019

TOPO Ultraventure Review

Ok this wont be as detailed as other blogs or magazine reviews going crazy about mid-sole and rockplate and everything else, but more just average guy's thoughts on a trail shoe.

Topo Ultraventure
So just a little shoe history on my end.  Started trail running (for the most part exclusively) back in 2012.  Ran in Salomon and Hokas.  Which I actually used both 50/50 during my Stone Cat 50 miler. 

From there I was for the most part 100% Hoka, and in 2016 I did a little with the Nike Wildhorse.  I run New England trails which are pretty rocky so I prefer cushion and in lack of that, a rock plate (shit I think I mentioned I wasn't going there - oh well).  I had my ankle fused back in 1974, and although I have tried Altras a few times (thanks Kyle - my friendly Altra rep), my legs and mostly my shins, just can't deal with the zero drop. 

After coming back from a hamstring injury that tabled me the last half of 2018, I started looking at shoes again.  I have to say that the Salomon Sense Rides, are a really good shoe.  Love the cushioning, they are super light.  But the toe box is a little tight and I get blisters occasionally between the big and second toe, and although I alternate them in there I was looking for something else as my go to.

Which brings me to the Topo.  I had been looking through different websites and recent reviews and Topo - which I had never heard of before - kept popping up.  In fact one of the quotes was; if Hoka and Altra had a baby. 

They really are a nice blend of the two.  I find the toe box to be little smaller than the Altra Temps.  From a cushioning standpoint they are no way as plush as the old Hoka Clifton 2's, but as a heel striker, they definitely do the job.  The heel cup is a little wide, and although you can "ratchet" down the laces to secure it, that is probably the only real dislike that I have.   At $ 130 they kind of top out at my shoe budget, but they have been wearing well.  With the recent rain and puddles, which I most certainly do not shy away from running straight thru, I have round that they drain pretty well.

All and all, I wholeheartedly give this shoe a big thumbs up.   


Below please find both the manufacturers video and shoe specs. 




Ultraventure Specs from the Topo website
  • Best For:Trail Running
  • Stack Height:30mm (heel) // 25mm (forefoot)
  • Heel to Toe Drop:5MM
  • Weight:10.4 oz (M9)
  • Cushion:
    Less
    More
  • Support:
    Neutral
    Stability
  • Pliability:
    Flexible
    Stiff

No comments:

Post a Comment