Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Well it's time..........

Well it's finally here.  I've been eyeballing Stone Cat since December of last year, when I figured I would attempt a 50 miler.  I've put in some decent mileage, although probably not as much as I should or could have, but there is nothing I can do about it now, so I look forward to Saturday. 

I ran the course a month ago or so, with a couple runners I had met at different races, or via Facebook or Dailymile.  It's a 12.5 mile loop that we will run 4 times.  It has a few uphill sections, but absolutely nothing like Bear Brook or Nipmuck.  And although the water crossing area was dry during my practice run, I guess we wont know until Saturday how Hurricane Sandy has left her mark on that part. 

Yesterday I sat down and came up with a pacing plan that I think will keep me on track to finish with plenty of time prior to the cutoff.  I just have to remember to start a little slower than I have been training lately (well actually a fair amount slower), to stop and drink at the aid stations, and finally to eat. 

I'm taking Friday (and Monday) off from work to sleep, relax and pack up my stuff to go.  I'm going to leave a bin at the turnaround with some extra clothes, GU's, My two bottles of premixed and flattened Coke and Mountain Dew, my Solomon's (or Hoka's depending on which I start with), S-Caps, and anything else that jumps out at me as I'm leaving.  I think I am going to go with my handheld water bottle, as there are 3 aid stations (approx 4 miles apart) for each lap. 

I am 99.9% confident that I can do the first 3 laps (37.5 miles) and I have my Saturday morning/Gilbert State Forest running partner. Hayley coming up to pace me the last lap (or perhaps 2 if she gets there in time).  Hayley assures me that come hell or high water (hopefully not to high) that she will get me across the line and to that Bad Ass Stone Cat 50 mile finishers jacket.

Well all, I will do as detailed as possible a race recap either Sunday or Monday.   Until then, Be Well and wish me luck

Sank

2 comments:

  1. Very EXCITING!! Great that you'll have a pacer there to help you through. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left-Right-Repeat.
    Above all else.. Remember that you don't have to run the whole thing... and it's wise NOT to. :)

    SJ

    ReplyDelete