Friday, May 11, 2012

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 review

Well my experiment with the New Balance Minimus has come to a sad conclusion.  Let me start off by saying that the NB's felt like slippers.  They are so comfortable, and I will continue to wear them when I go walking.  However being that I run at Gilbert, which is very rocky and technical in nature; coupled with my size and running style, my feet were consistently bruised and sore.  So I went on the hunt for some new shoes.
Unlike prior times, I went in with no preconceived ideas of what shoes to get.  I tried on some Montrails, some New Balance, some Salomons, and some La Sportivas.  Then I went home with a list of 2 or 3 shoes and did some research.  Went back to EMS, and tried back on the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2s.   LOVED THEM. 
So Wednesday night, I had the chance to finally throw them on the feet and try them out.  I was concerned a bit that coming from the Minimus and the "blocky" feel that they had coming out of the box that they might feel a bit stiff.  And in comparison they are, but it only took a little while for that feeling to totally go away.  It was and had been raining for days, so the trails were very wet and slick, but the XA's gripped well and held their footing great.  And surprisingly they feel extremely light.
But after 4 miles in I would branch off of the Megley Trail at Gilbert to an area that is fairly long, steep and very rocky.  Unlike the Minimus where I had to virtually tiptoe down, the sole of the Salomon let me really attack the downhills with no worries about my midfoot.
Final thoughts:  Love the Quicklace One-Pull lacing system, and the pocketed tongue to hide while running.  Lets you really ratchet them down and can quickly tighten if need be.  The mesh breathes well, which is great cause I most definitely do not avoid puddles!  And finally for someone like me that stubs my toe ALOT, the Toe Cap and Mud Guard is a "toe" saver.
All and All I give the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 a well deserved:  A.
Take care and Be Well ~ Sank

No comments:

Post a Comment