Thursday, January 19, 2012

Scared and close to a decision

Ok so for those of you that come over from Dailymile I know that some of what I write is repetitive, but I can go in more detail and rant on more over here.  Anyway, so last night by the time ran some errands, got home, and took a few minutes to hang with my roommates (Jack and Belle), I grabbed my stuff to hit the trails for a cold early evening run.  I had tried out a headlamp that I had bought at a local discount tool store, which I have to admit, with the exception of that it shines a tad low, the fit and stability of it just work for me.  So I hit Gilbert a little after dusk, and started up the trails.  I hadn't really gone out at night on the trails before so it was all new to me.  The wind was really whistling and as the night got darker and colder, all the little sounds started getting a lot clearer and even more scarier.
At one point I was running next to this pond, and I don't know what the hell made that noise, but it wasn't human and I wasn't sticking around to ask.  At this point, I just want to get the run over and quick.  I stayed on the fire roads and just got chugging.  On my way back I had to go thru this one section that is very dark even in the daytime, but it is really really creepy at night.  Once again, I either heard something or my very active imagination heard something, but I was about a 1/2 mile from being out and I took off. 
Well until I stubbed my toe on a rock, went down pretty good and (which I would really find out later) tore up my left knee pretty good.  But fear is a good motivator.  The hell with the knee, I was getting the hell out of there.  Whatever creature was in there wasn't going to eat me while I was checking out a few scrapes.   So up I bounced and out there I went.  You know in hindsight, although I was admittedly pretty scared, it was fun as hell!  Can't wait to do it again.

I've been doing some research and looking into it, and I'm really leaning towards doing the Vermont 50 miler this September.  I know it's a lot of work and mileage, but I know that I will find the time to get it done.  With a goal of less than 10:59:59 it would also make me eligible for entry in the Western States Lottery for the 2013 race.  Probably getting a bit a head of myself, but what the hell, that's what goals and aspirations are for, right?

Enjoy your day, Be Well ~ Sank

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to run trails before dawn a bit with a friend,believe me it's way less scary and much more fun with a buddy.
    Right on Bro!

    ReplyDelete