Thursday, September 9, 2010

Late Dusk Friend

Well the cooler weather is coming (insert happy face here) but unfortunately along with the cooler late summer nights, come the shorter days.  I got out of work yesterday and rushed home (after picking up some dinner staples and the dry cleaning), borrowed Catie's car and hit Gilbert (with an hour timeline as Cate had to work last night). 
Not having my usual passenger seat coverage for Belle's dog hair residue, I decided to leave her at home and just get out there and have a nice quiet run for myself.  Leaving the parking and lot and up the side path hill, it was somewhat more shaded than usual, but enough light to navigate.  However that would change quickly as I got off of some of the wider and more used trails and into some of the more challenging and definately more tree covered pathways. 
Things were going relatively normal, when out of the dusk I heard (Click for youtube video of the sound) .  Now I had originally thought that it must be the Barred Owl that I seen almost a year ago .  I definately knew that it was an owl as it made it's call about 4 times over the course of a 2 to 3 minute span.  But it was high up in the trees and with the daylight failing there was no way I was going to be able to see it, so I just kept going.
Today I decided to try to find a website that had the calls of different owl, and low and behold it wasnt a Barred Owl at all but a Great Horned Owl.  Damn, I wish I had taken the time and had the light to have been able to see it.  Once I crossed over toward the Megley Trail I either fell out of ear shot or the owl simply went quiet. 
I have to say it was very cool.  Greatly preferred over the screeching Blue Jays that yell at me while I am working on the house.  Oh well, just thought I would share the story with you.
Take care and Be well ~ Sank

Post Edit:  Isnt that picture awesome?!

2 comments:

  1. Sank, I'm a new follower thru Trail Running Soul. That is a very cool photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kovas, I added your Multisports Blog to my list. Thanks for reading. Hopefully I see that owl tonight

    ReplyDelete